Volume 3, Number 17, January 12, 1998
Note: This page can be used as an introduction to the vocabulary for Reading Comprehension, Volume 3, Number 17.
Using a Dictionary
Use a dictionary to help you answer each question.
1. Which is an example of strife?
a. A cook
prepares a vegetable soup.
b. Two nations fight each other in a war.
c. David gets a high score in bowling.
d. A new car bumper is invented.
2. When you reject something, you ___________.
a. play it
b. put it in a safe place
c. fix it
d. do not accept it
3. If you oppose an idea, you ___________.
a. are the
first one to think of it
b. try to get others to agree with it
c. take a stand against it
d. are confused
4. If you inflame a crowd, ___________.
a. you make
many people angry
b. you cause many people to be sunburned
c. you attack it with fire
d. you hide from everyone
5. To inspire someone is to ___________.
a. make them
want to do something
b. stab them with a spear
c. build a house for them
d. disagree with them
6. To yield is to ___________.
with a blanket
b. drive carefully
c. sing in a loud voice
d. give up
7. If you boycott a company, you ___________.
a. buy it
b. stand outside and protest
c. are proud to work for it
d. won't buy any of its products or services
8. If a shirt has many hues, it has many ___________.
9. When you endure something, ___________.
a. it is not
b. you invent it
c. you protect it
d. you describe its appearance
Copyright 1998 RHL
RHL School Home