Volume 5, Number 15, January 10, 2000
Use the context of the selections to choose the correct meanings or synonyms.
1. Connie is never happy when everyone is getting along. She always instigates fights and then acts like little Miss Innocent.
When you instigate something, you __________.
check it out
b. protect it
c. get it started
d. ignore it
2. I like that store. All the employees strive to make the customers feel right at home.
Which word is a synonym of “strive”?
3. This is a clandestine operation. It is extremely important that no one discovers what you’re doing!
A clandestine operation is supposed to be __________.
4. If you don’t recover quickly from your condition, it could become chronic. Then you might have to take medicine for the rest of your life.
If something is chronic, it __________.
is very painful
b. won’t go away
c. makes you smell bad
d. isn’t real
5. David hoped that nobody would know that he was in the building. Didn’t he realize that parking his new car in the driveway made his presence rather conspicuous?
If something is conspicuous, it is __________.
RHL School - Free Worksheets and More
Copyright 2000 RHL
RHL School Home