Volume 4, Number 32, May 20, 1999
Word Meanings From Context - Synonyms
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meanings. There is one word highlighted in each selection. Use the context to help you identify a synonym of that word. Underline the synonm. The first selection has been done for you.
1. Anne dove into the water so gracefully that she hardly made a splash. However, when Diego plunged into the pool, he sent gallons of water shooting into the air.
2. I asked 100 people to respond to the survey within a week. It’s been six days and only 50 have bothered to reply. I hope that the others haven’t decided to ignore or discard the survey.
3. I am preparing a paper that will explain our reasons for increasing membership dues. Once I’ve finished the first draft, I’ll share the document with everyone on the committee.
4. We're aware of Mr. Ant’s misgivings. Is there a way to address his doubts and convince him that our plan will work?
5. “Janet, why are you always complaining?” Cynthia asked in as calm a tone as she could manage. “Your complaints about the school float are the last straw. We all want more help and less protests from you.”
6. Phil had an inspiration. He wouldn’t just ask Donna to go to the dance with him; he would write her a poem. He figured she wouldn’t turn down a romantic poetic request. He smiled as he began composing, convinced that his idea was brilliant.rhlschool.comCopyright RHL 1999
E-mail This Page to a Friend!
Reading Comprehension Menu
RHL School Home