Volume 3, Number 2, September 15, 1997
A Story Starter:
Read the selection without stopping to choose the correct missing words. Then read it again, pausing to underline the correct words. Finally, read the selection again to see if it makes sense.
.......Juan loved __1__ more than any other season. He
wasn't sure __2__, but sometimes he wondered about it. Perhaps it was
that __3__ feeling he had, on a snowy night, looking out at the
blowing, drifting snow, safe and __4__ inside with his family. Or maybe
it was because of those mornings when he could play in the snow with
his friends. __5__, his __6__ holiday anyway, was always even more
special when the world was __7__.
.......Upstate New York was a __8__ place to live. The summer had been warm and green. Autumn was a rainbow of foliage. __9__ would arrive in a couple of months and all would be well in Juan’s world. And then the __10__!
.......Juan’s grandfather was beaming. “We are moving to __11__! No more cold, no more snow and ice, no more winter!!”
.......Grandmother Marie seemed equally thrilled. She hugged Juan. “Aren’t you excited, Juan?” she asked, trying not to notice his __12__.
.......“I’ll stay in Adams and live in a tree!” Juan cried.
1. spring summer autumn winter
2. who when where why
3. sinking cold warm funny
4. scared excited alone comfortable
5. Christmas Easter May Day Halloween
6. secret oldest favorite Christian
7. freezing white stormy hot
8. cold terrible great northern
9. Winter Spring People Money
10. newspaper season meal announcement
11. Norway Canada Florida Maine
12. odor pimples expression smile
You can be the author who finishes this story. As you write, think about these considerations:
* Why do the
characters feel and act as they do?
* Can Juan discover anything about what he values, that could cause him to be happy in his new location?
Copyright 1997 RHL
Reading Comprehension Menu