Volume 4, Number 9, November 2, 1998
Using a Dictionary - Definitions
Use a dictionary to help you make the correct choices.
1. Which of the following could be perplexing?
a. a comfortable pair of shoes
b. a mystery
c. an expected payment
d. a small chair
2. If someone calls your idea repugnant, _______________.
a. he thinks its not original
b. he wants to try it more than once
c. he thinks its smart
d. he doesn't like it at all
3. An avaricious person would not enjoy _______________.
a. being treated to a large meal
b. reading a story about birds
c. taking a warm shower
d. giving a lot of money away
4. Which of the following would a sedentary person probably prefer doing?
a. watching television
b. playing tennis
c. ice skating
d. constructing rock gardens
5. Which statement shows indignation?
a. You are prettier than a cows tail.
b. I wonder why she dyed her hair pink.
c. Why did you give me such a nice gift?
d. Dont you call me a jerk!
Reference Skills Menu
Copyright 1998 RHL