Volume 4, Number 17, January 19, 1999
Using a Dictionary - Definitions
Use a dictionary to help you make the correct choices. Look up any word you are unsure of.
1. You shouldnt be surprised if _______________ person commits perjury.
a. a gregarious
b. an obnoxious
c. a pompous
d. an unscrupulous
2. A fastidious person is not likely to _______________.
a. brush his teeth
b. say his prayers
c. put her slippers in the closet
d. have a messy desk
3. Where would you be most likely to find kapok?
a. in your salad
b. growing between your toes
c. hanging from a mooses nose
d. inside a mattress
4. Which is a derisive comment?
a. Im surprised he had enough sense to come in out of the rain.
b. Im really proud of the way you handled that difficult situation.
c. I cant give you that low price on the car after tomorrow.
d. I think youre smart enough to figure that out.
5. Which statement implies that Susan is resourceful?
a. Never sit near Susan after shes eaten beans.
b. Susan can remember the words to any song shes ever heard.
c. Susan could figure out a way to repair anything with little more than chewing gum.
d. Never tell Susan anything that you wouldnt tell everyone.
Copyright 1999 RHL
Reference Skills Menu