Volume 4, Number 11, November 16, 1998
Use an encyclopedia or other reference sources to answer the following questions.
1. In Canada, Thanksgiving Day has been an official national holiday on the second Monday of October since __________.
2. In the United States, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the _______________.
a. last Thursday of October
b. last Thursday of November
c. two days after national elections are held
d. fourth Thursday of November
3. Who was the first U.S. president to declare an official Thanksgiving holiday?
a. George Washington
b. Andrew Jackson
c. Abraham Lincoln
d. Franklin Roosevelt
4. The Pilgrims are the most important symbol of Americas Thanksgiving. Their religious convictions were at the heart of their reasons for establishing a new settlement. They were _______________.
5. When did the Pilgrims wear large decorative buckles on their clothes?
a. They only wore them for special occasions.
b. They only wore them on Sundays.
c. They wore them when it was windy.
d. They didnt wear them at all.
Our research sources:
Thanksgiving Day, Great Avenue Online, http://www.apollotrust.com/~wildrose/Thanksgiving/Thanksgiving.htm
Common Mayflower Myths, Mayflower Web Pages, by Caleb Johnson, http://members.aol.com/calebj/FAQ_history.html
Pilgrim Myths and Realities, Plimoth-on-Web, http://www.plimoth.org/pilmyth.htm
Copyright 1998 RHL
Reference Skills Menu