Volume 3, Number 25, March 16, 1998
Use a dictionary to find the meaning of the highlighted words. Use your understanding of those words to answer the questions or complete the statements.
1. If a boy thought he was devoid of talent, he'd ___________.
a. think he was very good at doing many things
b. think he was very good at doing a certain thing
c. think he was not very good at doing anything
d. have an upset stomach
2. Which of these is most benign?
a. a friendly puppy
b. an angry tiger
c. a sickness that cannot be cured
d. a flood
3. A girl who felt slandered would believe that someone ___________.
a. stole her money
b. said she was pretty
c. lied to her
d. lied about her
4. Which of the following must be buoyant?
a. a good actor
b. a mailbox
c. a valuable gem
d. a boat
5. If you have a tenacious memory, you __________.
a. remember things well
b. forget too many things
c. do not remember faces
d. have trouble counting to eleven
Copyright 1998 RHL
Reference Skills Menu