Volume 3, Number 11, November 17, 1997
Use a dictionary to help you answer each question.
1. Which sentence is redundant?
a. I won because I ran more faster.
b. You don't need make-up to look good.
c. There is no time for arguing.
d. This dictionary is her favorite book.
2. Which statement is a denial?
a. Your teeth need a good brushing!
b. I'm afraid we have a problem.
c. Mom is concerned about your friend's odor.
d. It's not my fault that my room's always a mess!
3. Which is an example of using inadequate force?
a. A woman kicks a football.
b. You swat a fly with a hammer.
c. A man tries to move a heavy rock by blowing at it.
d. A dog buries a bone.
4. Where would you be most likely to see a bouquet?
a. On a collar
b. In a vase
c. At a hardware store
d. Under a car hood
5. If you obliterate something, ___________.
a. it will seem to be new
b. it will be safe to eat off of
c. it will no longer be of value
d. it will be shaped like a football
Copyright 1997 RHL
Reference Skills Menu