Mathematics Problem Solving
Volume 4, Number 15, January 4, 1999
1. You can use a dictionary or the glossary in your math text to answer this question: How many years are in a century?
2. There are ten centuries in a millennium. A millennium lasts for __________ years.
3. The Gregorian calendar is used all over the world. Years before the birth of Christ have a B.C. after them. Then the count starts with the birth of Christ in the year 1 A.D. The year 1999 is actually 1999 A.D.
Since the first century A.D. begins with the year 1, the last year of the first century is 100, or 100 A.D.
What is the first year of the second century? __________
4. What is the last year of the second century? __________
The first year of the third century is 201.
5. What digit does the first year of every century end with? __________
6. What digit does the last year of every century end with? __________
7. Which year was not part of the twentieth century?
8. The twenty-first century begins with the year __________.
Extra: Take a poll. Ask people if they know when the twenty-first century begins.
Copyright 1999 RHL
E-mail This Page to a Friend!
Mathematics Problem Solving Menu
RHL School Home