Mathematics Problem Solving
Volume 3, Number 31, May 11, 1998
1. Colton’s doctor told him to drink at least 40 ounces of milk each day. How many cups (1 cup = 8 ounces) per day would that be?
2. Nancy walks three miles every day. John doesn’t walk every day, but he always makes sure that he walks 18 miles each week. Who walks more miles each week? How many more miles?
3. Kathy has 18 pets. Four of them are dogs, three are cats, and the rest are pigs. How many pet pigs does Kathy have?
4. Boris ate eight pieces of pizza. Angela ate half as many pieces as Boris. How many pieces of pizza in all did they both eat?
5. Richard is cruising the highway at 65 miles per hour. How far will he travel in five hours?
6. Karen wants to buy 120 bottles of soda. There are 24 bottles in a case. How many cases does she need to buy?
7. If you sleep an average of eight hours per day, you will sleep the equivalent (worth the same) of _______ full days in June.
8. Sam is a hard worker. He works every day, except he refuses to ever work during the summer. Sam works hard for ______ months a year.
Copyright 1998 RHL
E-mail This Page to a Friend!
Mathematics Problem Solving Menu
RHL School Home