Mathematics Problem Solving
Volume 3, Number 3, September 22, 1997
On September 19, 1928, Disney's Mickey Mouse appeared in his first movie. How many years ago was that? To figure that out, you subtract the year of the event, 1928, from the current year, 1997. 1997 - 1928 = 69 Mickey first appeared 69 years ago.
1. The United States set off its first underground nuclear explosion on September 19, 1957. How many years ago was that?
2. On September 21, 1897, the "Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus" editorial was published in the New York Times. That was _____ years ago.
3. Sandra Day O'Conner was the first female justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. She began her term on September 21, 1981. How many years has she been on the Supreme Court?
4. On September 22, 1776, Nathan Hale was executed as an American spy by the British during the American Revolution. That was ____ years ago.
5. The Dutch surrendered Fort Orange, New York to the British on September 20, 353 years ago. In what year did that happen?
This problem is different from the others, because you are told how many years ago the event happened, but not the year. Can you figure out how to solve it?
Copyright 1997 RHL
E-mail This Page to a Friend!
Mathematics Problem Solving Menu
RHL School Home