Synonyms are words that have the same or similar meanings.
Note the highlighted word in each selection. Underline its synonym. The first one has been done for you.
1. This law is far from perfect. We need to change parts of it to make it fair. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to amend a law.
2. That woman’s remarks are always rude! Why can’t she keep her comments to herself?
3. Don’t expend too much energy on that game or you won’t have enough left to use on homework.
4. You shouldn’t make a big deal about Sam’s errors when you haven’t even corrected your own mistakes!
5. I’ll create a new account for you if you make a list of features you want it to have.
6. Carefully observe the behavior of John’s sister Ashley. If you study her actions, you’ll understand why John says she’s weird.
7. Jordan is a very smart girl. She’s intelligent enough to solve puzzles that some adults can’t handle.
8. The smell of your shoes is a most unpleasant odor.
9. The smell of that flower is a very pleasant fragrance.
English Basics, Vol 8, No. 2, April 29, 2003http://rhlschool.comCopyright 2003 RHL
RHL School Home